You are able to open and edit Microsoft office files on your Chromebook by using Google Drive. For example, to open and edit a Word-document you use Google Docs, for Excel files you use Google SpreadSheets and for PowerPoint presentations you use Google Slides.
Open a Microsoft Office file
- Download the file on your Chromebook
- Click on the Launcher .
- Click on ‘all apps’ → ‘Files’ To go to your files.
- Double Click on the desired file to open. Your Office file will be automatically opened in the browser by a compatible Google application like Google Docs, SpreadSheets or Slides.
Working together with others
You are able to share (office) documents with others. This way you can work together and simultaneously edit the document. You can do this the following way:
- Open your Microsoft Office file.
- Save the file to your Google Drive as a Google Document, SpreadSheet or Slide.
- Share the file with multiple people to simultaneously work on the document.
- Click on the ‘Share’ button on the right upper side of your document or click on ‘file’ in the menubar and select ‘Share’.
- Enter the email addresses of everyone you want to share your document with and select if they can view or edit the file. It is also possible to generate a link which you can share with people.
*Important! All Changes made to Office-documents in Google Docs, Spreadsheets or Slides, will only be saved to your Google drive. The original Office file will not be changed.
It is possible to save a file from your Google Drive as a Microsoft-Office file. You can do this the following way:
- Click on ‘file’ in the menubar
- Click ‘download as’
- Select the desired filetype
- The document will now be saved to your Chromebook in ‘documents’ file.