Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is becoming more and more prevalent. First, only IT related parties used this, but MFA has now become an important part of our personal lives, particularly in education. Our software can be set to MFA to accommodate an extra layer of security of everyone's accounts.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication?
Multi-Factor Authentication adds another layer of security to the password you've already got. This means you need two or more steps to log on. It may sound time-consuming, but it does ensure your account is even safer.
The use of private devices increases amongst users. These devices are secured with personal passwords. However, what happens when a user gives someone else their password? Or when they've jotted it down and left their note unattended? Prowise has privacy at the centre of its attention. Therefore, we have enabled the Multi-Factor Authentication option within our software packages. This function ensures better security for all of our users.
Pros for education:
- Sharing content safely between teachers and students
- There's no doubt the digital student environment is safe.
- Confidential information cannot be reached by ill-willing persons.
- All confidential information is stored safely in the cloud and is only accessible by using MFA.
- 90% of the passwords can be hacked in less than six hours. MFA helps preventing password hacks.
Would you like to enable MFA for your software? You can! MFA will be active for Prowise Presenter, Prowise GO, Prowise Screen Control and MyProwise. You can enable MFA for yourself. If you need it to be activated for your whole school or foundation, a package manager will do this for you. The MFA must have already been set in the package manager's account in order to switch it on for the entire package.
Enabling MFA on individual levels
- Go to account.prowise.com and log on. In the menu on the left, you'll find 'My profile'. Click this option and then choose the bottom pencil in the column 'Security' under 'Active authentication'.
- A message will pop up: 'Set-up authenticator'
- Take your phone and open the Authenticator app*. Scan the QR code. Insert the Authenticator code and click OK to save.
Enabling MFA for packages
- The package manager goes to account.prowise.com and logs on. The menu on the left shows the name of your school or foundation. Click on the name and go to Administration settings. You will now see an overview of your groups.
- Click on the pencil icon in the Settings column. A message will pop-up: 'Edit management settings'. Click on the drop-down-menu of 'Confirm two-factor authentication for:' and choose the relevant user group to enable MFA. MFA will be enabled for the entire group when you click Save.
* After MFA has been set, you need an authenticator app to log on. You may already have an authenticator app on your smartphone. We recommend using this. If you have no such app, you may want to install one of the following apps for easy access to your Prowise account:
- LastPass Authenticator
- Google Authenticator
By using one of these apps, you confirm that you are the one trying to log on.